Julie Seftick-McGough is that rare combination of an outstanding teacher and extraordinary performer. Her remarkable skills as a flutist and artist inform and guide her ability to create a wonderful experience for a student of the flute.
I simply can’t think of a better flute teacher and mentor for an aspiring student.
Former Principal Flute, New York Philharmonic
The Flute Studio of Julie McGough focuses on fostering a love of music and strong flute skills. All lessons use a combination of skill building and fun musical activities to create an enthusiastic environment for learning. I take pride in finding a creative niche for each student because they are all different.
Skills we work on in a typical lesson include:
- Creating a warmup routine
- Scales and technique
- Tone and Vibrato
Music covered can include a mix of Classical, Pops, Broadway, Celtic, ANYTHING! I love to keep lessons fresh and entertaining. The key to successful learning is HAVING FUN (while learning new skills). We work hard but have a great time in the process. I want all of my students to love music and appreciate the dedication it takes to improve and reach new goals.
Students in The Flute Studio come from all areas of Pittsburgh; Bethel Park, Upper St Clair, Mt Lebanon, Peters Township, McMurray, Oakland, Kiski, Squirrel Hill, to name a few! Many students are chosen to perform in their district’s honors bands and consistently sit at the top of their school band flute section. Through competitive auditions throughout the school year students have had the opportunity to perform in the Pittsburgh Youth Philharmonic Orchestra, Three Rivers Young Peoples Orchestra, WVU Flute Camps and McKeesport Symphony Side-by-Side Concerts. Graduates of The Flute Studio have gone on to be Music Education majors at Duquesne, Chatham, Youngstown State, Clarion, West Virginia and Otterbein Universities.
am happy to offer a FREE 30 minute trial lesson to new students interested in taking lessons at The Flute Studio.
In this lesson you will:
- Perform a piece of your choosing
- Receive valuable input regarding your performance
- Learn about The Flute Studio
- This lesson also serves as an evaluation for admission into The Flute Studio
As a student/parent you should always have an introductory lesson with a private teacher. Important information you should look for when searching for a new teacher:
- Education – where did the teacher go to college? Do they have a Bachelor or Masters degree in FLUTE PERFORMANCE?
- Who were their teachers?
- Do they teach at any local colleges?
- Do they perform professionally? Where?
- Do the students in the studio have opportunities to perform?
- Does the teacher offer audition preparation?
- Do the teacher’s students perform in top ensembles in the area?
- Is it a thriving music studio?
My answers to the above questions (but, please read my bio too!)
- Education – where did I go to college? I went to two of the top schools in the country for flute performance: CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY (BFA – Flute Performance), MANHATTAN SCHOOL OF MUSIC (MM – Flute Performance)
- Who were my teachers? JEANNE BAXTRESSER (New York Philharmonic), JENNIFER STEELE-CONNER (Pittsburgh Symphony), ALBERTO ALMARZA (International Soloist), STEPHANIE MORTIMORE (Metropolitan Opera), LINDA CHESIS (International Soloist)
- Do I teach at any local colleges? I am the Adjunct Professor of Flute at Washington and Jefferson College
- Do I perform professionally? YES! I perform throughout PA, OH and WV in numerous professional ensembles, including the PITTSBURGH OPERA, ALLEGHENY CITY RAGTIME ORCHESTRA, WESTMORELAND SYMPHONY, WHEELING SYMPHONY, AKRON SYMPHONY, YOUNGSTOWN SYMPHONY and more!
- Do the students in the studio have opportunities to perform? Yes! We have two recitals each year – a garden recital in South Park and a winter recital (2014 at PPG Wintergarden)
- Do I offer audition preparation? Yes, I am a specialist in competition and college audition preparation.
- Do my students perform in top ensembles in the area? My students have performed in All-State Orchestra, Regional Band and Orchestra, District Band and Orchestra, Honors Band, Three Rivers Young Persons Orchestra, Pittsburgh Youth Philharmonic Orchestra and more!
- Is it a thriving music studio? Yes! I have taught over 100 students in the past 15 years.
This offer is for new students only. 7 days notice for cancellations. Student must provide their own instrument. Limited to teacher availability.
FAQ about Flute Lessons:
Where is The Flute Studio located?
The Flute Studio is convieniently located in Bethel Park – less than 5 minutes from South Hills Village Mall, Upper St Clair and Peters Township.
What do I need for my first lesson?
Your flute! If you have music from school or previous teachers that you would like to bring to start, please do. I have my own set of warm ups and activities to get us started, but I also love to hear something that you have prepared and are comfortable playing to demonstrate your skills. We usually choose music in the first 2 weeks of lessons. When we choose music I recommend music that will both challenge you and keep you interested – if you don’t like it we generally don’t play it (although scales are a neccessary part of life!!) I want lessons and your flute to be fun!
When can I get started?
Send me an email and we’ll try to schedule a time (email@example.com).